How we pick our products
Having an organised home can be difficult to maintain, specially if you don’t have the time, or you live in a small space. If this sounds like you, you may also be one of those people who loves accessories and in particular, shoes — but you’re often searching for that missing shoe in the midst of all the clutter. If this is the case, a shoe rack will come in very handy.
Even though these are functional items which help you organise your shoe collection and closet, they may also be decorative items that add to the style of your home. These items are also called shoe organises, and they are known for truly making life easier. If you’re running out of storage space but you also still want to keep adding to your collection, shoe racks will help you find space in places you never even thought off.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 The best shoe racks on the Canadian market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about shoe racks
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Shoe rack models are made in a variety of styles with different features, you can find models tailored to your available space or truly innovative designs. Before making your purchase, it is very important to know where you intend to place the shoe rack. This will help you determine its dimensions and shape.
- Shoe racks are a simple way to store and organise all of your footwear in an orderly and accessible fashion, regardless of how much or how little space you have at home.
- These pieces of furniture have become increasingly popular in big cities like Toronto and Vancouver, where condo sizes keep getting smaller. In Canadian markets you’re sure to find the perfect model for your space, since there are many different models made with varying materials and shapes.
The best shoe racks on the Canadian market
The Canadian market offers a large selection of shoe racks made to fit shoes for any season, you’ll find shoe racks to store all your sandals, shoes and even winter boots. In this section, we have selected the best models available to you. As always, this ranking features top-quality products that offer you great value for your money.
- Homebi — 4-Tier Metal Shoe Rack
- SONGMICS — 3 Tier Stackable Shoe Rack
- SONGMICS — 2-Tier Stackable Shoe Rack
- Amazon Basics — 9-Pair Shoe Rack
- HOMFA — 5-Tier Bamboo Shelf Organizer
Homebi — 4-Tier Metal Shoe Rack
This 4-Tiered Shoe Rack by Homebi is one of Amazon’s choice products, offered at one of the most affordable prices. This storage unit is made of powder-coated metal tubes and high quality plastic connector pieces. It can be placed in a variety of different places throughout your home from the kitchen closet to the garage. The diameter of each metal tube is 13.2 mm, enabling it to withstand heavier loads. The special powder-coated finish does not rust or corrode with normal use.
This shoe-rack can hold up to 20 pairs of shoes and is perfect for larger, heftier shoes. This distance between each tier is about 7.48”, making it ideal for boots or high top shoes as well as any other household items you are needing to store. This 4-tiered shelving unit is not only great for shoes, but is the perfect multi-purpose storing unit. It is easy to assemble and comes with extra parts in the case of destructive kids or pets! Buyers love how lightweight and practical, fitting perfectly in small closets.
SONGMICS — 3 Tier Stackable Shoe Rack
These stackable shoe racks by SONGMICS are one of the highest rated products on Amazon, with a full 5-star rating. Consumers love the ability to adjust and choose whether they want the shelves slanted, or flat. Each shelf can be installed separately, allowing you to set each individual shelf exactly as it fits your needs. These shelves are quick to assemble and easily stack on top of one another to create even more storage room. Each 3-tiered storage unit holds up to 12 pairs of womens shoes and 9 pairs of men’s shoes.
Although seemingly fragile and lightweight, this shoe rack is extremely durable, secured with long screws and strong clips to hold multiple units together. It’s dense metal mesh that creates the surface of each shelf is surprisingly dense and sturdy. It comes in a beautiful, soft bronze color as well as a cool gray, providing options for it to fit perfectly amongst the furnishing of any home.
SONGMICS — 2-Tier Stackable Shoe Rack
Similar to it’s other products, SONGMICS has created a reliable, aesthetically pleasing, durable and easy to assemble storage unit perfect for any home. This 2-tiered model however, is particularly useful for small spaces. The shorter and longer model make it perfect to place inconspicuously in hearth rooms and small closets. However, because it is so easily attached to other units, it can easily expand in size when needed.
The dense metal mesh of each shelving unit prevents small children’s shoes and heels from slipping through. Each shelf can be angled individually as desired, making it perfect to accommodate a large variety of shoes that one household might have. To assemble, you simply have to screw the shelves to the framing. Although extremely simple to assemble, this shoe rack is surprisingly sturdy. This shoe rack comes in a soft bronze as well as a cool gray.
Amazon Basics — 9-Pair Shoe Rack
This shoe rack by Amazon is a consumer favorite. The thinly slatted shelves provide for a stable platform to keep your shoes all in a light weight and convenient design. Each shelf accommodates up to 3 full-size pairs of shoes. It has a sleek, metal design with a mocha finish that offers a more stylish appeal. It is very easy to assemble, taking no more than a few minutes. Because of its size, it fits conveniently in closets, under work desks or in coat rooms.
This product is an amazing value for a great price. Not only is a great for storing shoes, but for a number of other household and office supplies as well. Consumers rave about its practicality matched with a simple and pleasing aesthetic. It’s received an average of 4.5 stars on amazon and comes at a very reasonable price of CDN $34.27.
HOMFA — 5-Tier Bamboo Shelf Organizer
Although a bit pricier, this multi-purpose storage unit and shoe rack is one of the most well-made and durable products of its kind. Made from 100% natural bamboo, it is strong, stable, beautiful and environmentally friendly. It includes two handles on the side for convenient moving and additionally hangers on both sides that help avoid shoes piling in a messy heap. The 5 tiers on this shoe rack are not only great for shoes, but for kitchen supplies, towels, books, plants or even small appliances!
The polished bamboo surface makes it extremely easy to clean. Assembly is quite simple with easy to follow, step by step instructions in the manual. Although it has 5 tiers, this shoe rack storage unit combo is surprisingly compact. Because of its incorporated bamboo design, this shoe rack by HOMFA is very sturdy and eliminates almost any chance of wobbling. Buyers love its dark brown, walnut color, which compliments almost any household decor.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about shoe racks
As Canadian cities continue to grow, home sizes keep getting smaller. This has increased the need for better organisation and thus the need for shoe racks, since these are essential items to effortlessly organise your footwear in a practical way. Shoe racks are made of fabric, metal, plastic and sometimes even wood. In this next section we go over all the most frequently asked questions from buyers in order to help you find the best shoe rack for your needs.
What is a shoe rack exactly?
The one thing they have in common, is that they will all serve to help you store and organise your shoes. The best thing is that nowadays, shoe racks truly come in all shapes and sizes: certain models are designed to fit under your bed, others come in modular designs working as shelves, while some are made from fabric and hung behind a door or inside your closet. This means that you will always be able to find the right model to work with your space and needs.
What are other names for shoe racks?
What are the advantages of having a shoe rack?
- Organisation: Living in a disorganised place can even affect your mood. A shoe rack will no only help you know exactly where your favourite footwear is at all times, it will also make it easier to maintain an organised home, something everyone can appreciate.
- Space management: Shoe racks are the ideal furniture add-ons to help you make the most out of the space you have, specially if you have a small home. To find space where you didn’t have any before, you can simply slide your shoe rack under your bed, hang it behind a door or place it at the top of a closet — these are just a few of the many possibilities.
- Decoration: With the right combination of shapes, colours and materials, a well-designed and thought of shoe rack can become an integral part of your home decor. If you know how to play with space and colours, you won’t even have to invest a lot to find a perfect fit.
- Preservation: A shoe rack is the best option for the proper storing and preservation of your favourite pairs of shoes. With shoe organisers, they are protected from dust and other harmful external agents. The use of these organising tools will increase the durability of your shoes, specially if the alternative is leaving them scattered all over the place.
- Tailored made location: One of the biggest benefits of these items, is that you can place a shoe rack wherever you want. Simply choose the right size and shape for the space and remember that a balcony will work just as well as a bathroom or bedroom.
- Accessible pairs of shoes: Another great advantage of this type of furniture is that you won’t need to spend more than a second to find the right pair of shoes in any circumstance. No more having to turn the room up-side-down to find that missing shoe.
- Easy upkeep: Whether the shoe rack is made of plastic, wood, metal or fabric, a shoe rack will always be simple to clean. Generally, you won’t have to do much other than wiping it down with a damp cloth from time to time.
What types of shoe racks are available out there?
|Type of shoe rack||Key feature|
|Plastic for closets and shelves||One of the most common models, the great advantage of this type of shoe rack is that they can be adjusted to the size of the shoes you want to store in them.|
|Fabric||Another common option, it is ideally used to decorate a room without making it obvious that it is a shoe rack. These products are decorative, affordable and highly functional.|
|Hanging fabric||These models are extremely practical, as you can hang them inside your wardrobe or behind a door. This affordable option is ideal if you have little space available.|
|Modular design in stackable boxes||The number one advantage of this type of shoe rack is that you can adapt it to fit exactly in the space you have available, both vertically and horizontally. This affordable option can also be of decorative use.|
|Stackable boxes||This type of shoe organiser is perfect to slide under your bed, or even to place on top of your closet without disturbing your home decor. These models are affordable and very versatile.|
|Wooden auxiliary furniture||These are the most traditional shoe racks, they are made in the shape of wooden shelves, sitting benches or little shoe closets.|
|Metal or plastic shelves||Like the previous models, they are a classic model and they come in different shapes and sizes — However, they are made from more affordable materials.|
|Rotating shoe rack||Featuring a design like that of a coat hanger, several shelve pieces for your footwear are placed along a rotating pole. Their design is truly original and can be manufactured from wood or several other materials. They usually offer little or limited storage capacity.|
|Folding racks||These shoe racks are placed in drawers and closets. They are designed to stack your shoes vertically and are the perfect design for small bedrooms. They are often integrated onto wooden furniture.|
What should I do before storing footwear in a shoe rack?
- Closed spaces: Whether you opt for a classic shoe rack or a more modern design, whether it ends up being bade made from fabric, wood or plastic — In any scenario, you should leave your shoes airing out for a few hours before storing them. If you’re leaving them outside of the house, avoid leaving them in the sun.
- Sterilising: You will find there are powders or sprays made specifically for this purpose. If you have a closed shoe organiser, a simple trick is to leave lavender, rosemary or peppermint leaves in it.
- Ventilation: The majority of modern shoe racks feature holes to allow ventilation. If the model you choose doesn’t already incorporate these, you can always make your own holes in the unit.
- Insoles: Before storing your sports shoes, it is recommended to remove and wash the insoles — once they are dry, leave them outside of the shoes until you need to use them again.
- Preventing moisture: Placing newspaper inside your shoes will help absorb the moisture. This is a great tip if you’re planning on keeping your footwear in a sealed place for long periods of time.
- Cleaning: You should clean your shoe rack at least once a week or every two weeks. A simple wipe down with a wet cloth will suffice for most models and materials. Using disinfectant will also help prevent the proliferation of bacteria or other harmful organisms like mould or fungus.
How should I organise my footwear?
If you want to get the best shoe rack that is right for your home, space and needs, there are a few criteria you should consider when browsing through different models. Some of these aspects include its colour, size and dimensions among others. Keeping these things in mind will help you find a product that is not only good according to your home decor, but that it will also be a practical solution to any storage or organisational needs. This next section goes over all the relevant criteria you should keep in mind at the time of purchasing your new shoe rack.
The first thing you should consider, is where exactly are you planning to set the shoe rack. More often than not, the people who use this type of organisational items tend to have little space. Fret not, in todays Canadian market you can find the right model to fit under your bed, in a bathroom, hallway closet, living room and even the garage or a balcony. The shape of the shoe organiser will also depend on the style of the room and the space it is intended for.
For example, you would probably want to opt for bright coloured shoe racks for a kids room, while a more elegant and decorative piece may be better in a living room. Moreover, if you love switching into your house slippers as soon as you get home, there are innovative and inconspicuous models available for the entrance of your home. Since the market offers such a wide selection of shoe organisers you are sure to find the exact shoe rack you want.
It should go without saying that the space you have available for the shoe rack is another key criterion to consider. For example, you may want choose a furniture design that matches the decor in your room perfectly. However, this space may already have too much in it, forcing you to opt for a more practical model: one that goes behind a door or that fits into a small empty corner for instance.
This criteria goes hand in hand with the previous one (space). If you have limited space, you really cannot overlook the size of the item you choose. It is important to take into consideration the space it will occupy and then measure the height, length and width of the item you choose. Neglecting this criteria may leave you with a piece of furniture that is a few centimetres too big — creating more problems instead of solutions.
In this regard, all you have to do is ask yourself how many pairs of shoes do you need to store? Do you want to opt for a single shoe rack for all your footwear, or do you want to further organise them and get several smaller ones for better inventory. In any case, just make sure to count all the boots, sandals, slippers and other sports shoes you want to store and organise. This step is essential if you want to buy a model that easily fits all your current and future footwear.
As we mentioned earlier, the price of a shoe rack is directly influenced by its manufacturing materials. The best material for your shoe rack will depend on its intended use. For example, you may simply want a temporary shoe organiser for your child’s dorm room. For more permanent storage and organisational solutions, we would suggest you to opt for a quality and durable product that is made from metal, wood or plastic.
Reviews and ratings
Other consumer reviews are a good way to have a better idea about the reality of a product. As always, we would like to encourage you to read the comments of the product you choose, as these may sometimes include technical aspects that can be of use to you, especially if you are looking for a very specific model to suit specific needs. Looking at reviews can be a game changer in helping you make the right choice.
Shoe racks are the perfect organisational add-ons to help you organise and store all of your footwear. The Canadian market offers such a wide range of designs, it can sometimes be hard to find the right product. Nonetheless, the good news is that online shopping has opened up access to all the information you need, while giving you access to all of the different options out there — making it possible for you to find and buy the best shoe organiser for your needs.
In order to make the most successful purchase, make sure you take into account the purchase criteria we outlined in the last section. Things like where you’re planning to place your shoe rack, how many shoes you want to store in it or the space you have available are just some of the key factors to consider. As always, the budget you’ve dedicated to finding this piece of furniture is just as important. It is our hope this guide helped you find the right shoe rack for your needs.
If you liked our article, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us a comment with your thoughts in the section below!
(Source of featured image: Belchonock: 99533134/ 123rf.com)