How we pick our products
Using beard oil doesn’t simply contribute to eliminating itching and dryness. This product also provides much needed nutrition and hydration. Any man with a beard knows that facial hair can become just as entangled and split just as much as any other hair. This is why you have to make a choice: either you use a quality beard oil, or be mistaken for Tom Hanks in Cast Away.
IF this is your first time growing out your beard, and you’re doing so to help save time on your personal hygiene, then you’re doing it all wrong. If you don’t take proper care of your facial hair, you will constantly have to trim it to keep it clean. It’s important to realise that healthy, clean, shiny beards don’t grow on trees – pun intended. Itching, dry skin and dandruff await if you are not careful with your beard.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 The best beard oils on the Canadian market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about beard oil
- 3.1 What is beard oil and what are its advantages?
- 3.2 What is beard oil specifically used for?
- 3.3 How will using beard oil help me in my daily care routine?
- 3.4 What are beard oils made of?
- 3.5 How should I apply my beard oil?
- 3.6 How is beard oil different from beard balm?
- 3.7 The ultimate beard dilemma: shine or volume?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Beard oil will be your best ally if you’ve decided to let your facial hair grow and want avoid the usual discomforts like itching, split ends and dandruff.
- Hydrating your beard should be an integral part of your daily care routine. Make sure it clean and dry before applying oil.
- This product helps your skin by regulating and controlling sebaceous secretion. A healthy skin is necessary if you also want a healthy beard.
- You have to select the most suitable beard oil for your skin type and facial hair length. You’ll also have to choice between scented or fragrance-free oils.
The best beard oils on the Canadian market
We have looked at the available products on the Canadian market to try and find you the very best ones out there. Looking at user review and each product’s profile, we have put together the below selection of the top 5. We hope this information allows you to find the product that best suits your needs.
- Blackstone Naturals – Sandalwood Beard Oil Kit
- Prophet and Tools – Premium Unscented Beard Oil Kit
- DuckButter – Beard Oil 4-Pack
- Rocky Mountain Barber Company – Sandalwood Beard Oil and Leave-in Conditioner
- Viking Beard Brand – All Natural Beard Oil and Conditioner
Blackstone Naturals – Sandalwood Beard Oil Kit
Blackstone Naturals is one of the most popular names in beard oil and their Sandalwood Beard Oil Kit luxuriates and conditions your beard so that it is always soft and looking good. There is no itchy, rough facial hair with this sandalwood treatment, just long, luxurious facial hair that looks clean, healthy, and is soft to the touch. The all natural ingredients smell great and won’t irritate your skin, and there are absolutely no chemicals or alcohol used.
Blackstone Naturals is so confident you will love this product that if you are not 100 percent happy they will gladly return your money. The sandalwood is light, spicy, and fragrant, but not overpowering, giving you that manly scent you and the people around you will love. Make your facial hair a work of art with Blackstone Naturals Sandalwood Beard Oil Kit
Prophet and Tools – Premium Unscented Beard Oil Kit
Prophet and Tools is another well-respected name in the industry, and their top selling beard oils and grooming kits are popular with men around the world. Their Premium Unscented Beard Oil Kit is no exception. Designed to restore lackluster beards and bring your facial hair back to life. No more dry, split facial hair; no more irritated skin; with this beard oil and kit, you have everything you need to make sure your beard looks stylish and healthy.
This product comes with Prophet and Tools premium quality 30ml unscented beard oil, a handmade beard comb, and a beard care ebook to give you everything you need to tend to your facial hair. This is an all-in-one leave-in softener and conditioner combined, designed to leave your facial hair soft, smooth, and smelling fantastic. A great option for those trying to grow the perfect beard.
DuckButter – Beard Oil 4-Pack
Say the name DuckButter to any beard oil enthusiast and you will likely be met with nodding approval. This company has been making beard oil for a while now, and their four-pack gives you a chance to sample some of their best sellers. A terrific gift for any beardsman in your life, the scents included are “Beard Commander,” “Forrest Ranger,” “Metro Spice,” and “Cool Mint.” Duck Butter has been perfecting the science of beard oil since before beards were in style, making them a truly trusted name.
These beard oils contain antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E to make sure your skin is nourished and protected. Healthy skin is the foundation of a healthy, great-looking beard. With DuckButter’s beard oils, you will definitely not be one of those guys you see walking around with shabby, lackluster beards.
Rocky Mountain Barber Company – Sandalwood Beard Oil and Leave-in Conditioner
Rocky Mountain Barber Company is another time-tested name in the industry, and their Sandalwood Beard Oil and Leave-in Conditioner has been specially formulated to give you a stand-out, luxurious beard. Rocky Mountain Products are made in small batches to make sure you get only the freshest, purest ingredients possible. Sandalwood is a tried and true scent that is not overpowering, but noticeable to those who get close enough. Masculine subtlety is the name of the game with this scent.
This dual product is made to bring your beard back to life, and helps ensure easy combing and styling. Beard oil is meant to make your beard shiny, and to keep your hairs in place, avoiding the scraggy look. This product’s all natural ingredients, great, manly smell, and hydrating, skin-nourishing effects will make you a Rocky Mountain Barber Company customer for life.
Viking Beard Brand – All Natural Beard Oil and Conditioner
Viking Beard Brand’s All Natural Beard Oil and Leave-in Conditioner is made from 100% all natural essential oils that won’t leave your skin dry and irritated. Jojoba, argan, grapeseed, avocado, hempseed, and almond oils combine to create a product designed to add fullness and shine to any beard. The classic sandalwood scent is masculine, yet subtle, so you need not worry about overpowering those around you.
This oil provides your beard with the same kind of high quality love and care you would get from a professional barber. A healthy beard depends on healthy skin underneath, and this beard oil’s vitamin E takes good care of your face. If you want a full, luxurious beard, supported by hydrated healthy skin, then this product has got what you’re looking for.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about beard oil
When deciding on the beard oil you want, you are going to need to think about more than just the price of the product in question. You might want to consider an oil that does one or more of the following as well: hydrates and softens your skin;, minimized dandruff; untangles your hair, and provides a great scent. You will also need to ensure your beard oil is tolerated by your skin and is right for your beard size and type.
What is beard oil and what are its advantages?
You may also be fighting skin peeling and dandruff. A lot of men decide to give up and shave their beard when they feel the first itch, to avoid “complicating their lives”. Those who know what to do, however, dedicate the necessary care and let it grow into a healthy, shiny beard. As you’ll have guessed, this is exactly when beard oil comes in.
What is beard oil specifically used for?
Making sure your beard is completely clean is the first thing to do, and you will find different products made for this based on a range of skin types. After that, you have to dry it out. Only once you have completed both of these steps can you apply a beard oil, which will keep both your skin and facial hair fully moisturised.
How will using beard oil help me in my daily care routine?
- Clean look. Applying oil, after washing and drying your beard, gives it a clean and tidy look. Certain products also have antiseptic and antibiotic properties to combat allergenic agents that may accumulate in the environment.
- Hydrating hair and skin. You’ll understand just how important it is to keep your skin healthy if you remember how facial hair growth works. This type of oil helps regulate the secretion of fat from the pores, preventing epidermis dryness and its unpleasant consequences like itching and dandruff.
- Facial hair protection. A long beard cannot be kept in good condition without proper care and hydration. Otherwise, you will have to trim it to keep it healthy. Quality beard oil will stimulate your hair follicles, allowing your beard to grow in a healthy way. The moisturising effect of these oils also prevents split ends.
- Calming effect. Applying beard oil can also avoid skin irritations, in particular for more sensitive skins, by softening the hair. That way, your skin is less exposed to the pricks of dishevelled hair, thus preventing itching. The moisturising effect finishes off the job of keeping itching away from your skin.
- A pleasant aroma. A clean, well-kept beard is a truly rewarding sight. A soft beard can be a delight to touch. You can stop here, or decide to pique your sense of smell too. A clean, tidy, shiny beard from which emanates an enthralling fragrance will give you a confidence boost in any situation. You’ll find beard oils with a multitude of different aromas. Pick your favourite and you’ll be all set for close encounters.
What are beard oils made of?
These essential oils are extracted from different varieties of plants and contain the active ingredients, fragrances, vitamins and their properties. Each oil will particularly influence the effect of one of its main advantages – skin relief, hydration or the ability to regulate sweating – while also providing the aromas of the plants of origin.
Here are some plants commonly used in beard oil:
- Castor oi plant
How should I apply my beard oil?
- Place a few drops of oil in the palm of your hand.
- Rub your palms together to distribute the oil evenly.
- Introduce open hands from the bottom of your beard.
- Use your fingers to massage the skin under the beard, and thoroughly spread the oil over it.
- Remember to clean your beard well before applying the oil. You are also encouraged to dry your beard, although certain products can still work on wet hair.
- The quantity you should use naturally depends on the size of your beard. We advise you to start with a few drops – three to four – and increase the amount if needed. When it comes to beard oil, it is actually preferable to fall short rather than put too much.
How is beard oil different from beard balm?
|Beard oil||Beard balm|
|Main function||Moisturising||Conditioning and setting|
|Beard length||Suitable for beards of any size||More specifically tailored for long beards|
|Frequency of use||Daily use||Daily or occasional use|
|Shine||Oil will increase your beard’s shine.||Balm gives the beard a natural matt appearance.|
The ultimate beard dilemma: shine or volume?
Ultimately, the aesthetics are the most important difference between balms and oils. If you like your beard to be shiny, then the oils will be your product of choice. If you prefer volume, on the other hand, you’ll find that balms are the best way to shape your beard to your liking.
While all beard oils share common properties, there are certain variables you should take into account before settling for a specific brand. The following factors will help you find your way towards the product that best suits your beard:
As we mentioned earlier, all beard oils share common basic functions. That being said, some products emphasise specific effects: hydration, soothing effect on the skin, shine, or aroma.If it’s your first time growing a beard, we recommend you to opt for an oil that contributes to the healthy growth of your follicles.
You’ll find several types of oil on the Canadian market, each with very specific properties. Certain beard oils for instance, contain vitamins, while others have antibiotic properties. You should pick the product that best suits your needs and your goal. If you’re into fragranced oils, you’ll be happy to know that there is a wide range of aromas available.
This is an incredibly important aspect that you cannot overlook. Always read carefully the properties of the product you want to buy to make sure that the oil is suitable for your skin type. You won’t need the same beard oil if you have dry skin or if your skin has a tendency to secrete more oil than normal. You can simply add your skin type to “beard oil” during your online search.
Certain products feature ingredients that are particularly useful if you have dry skin, such as apricot kernel oil. On the contrary, other oils are more suitable to help regulate secretion in oily skins, like coconut oil. Beard oils are aplenty out there, and you just have to find the one that’s right for you.
Type of beard
You won’t need the same product if you’ve been growing your beard for three days, three months or three years. This is why it’s not hard to understand that the length of your beard is naturally a deciding factor in your purchase. You should also take into account that we don’t all have the same type of hair; it can differ in thickness, and be straight or curly. Be sure you know your type of hair before buying any product.
Generally speaking, beard oils – including those featuring on our selection – are originally designed for long beards, since their number one function is to facilitate the healthy growth of facial hair. This is why you should consider all factors, as you may also have an oily skin and thick, curly hair.
We can basically identify two different types of aromas in the world of the beard: stronger and softer. Perfumes from woods such as cedar, for instance, have been used in oils since time immemorial. These aromas have great personality and are traditionally associated with masculinity.
The other type of aroma is fresher and subtler. These include for example citrus fruits such as lemon or orange. The list of aromas is as exhaustive as it is exotic, as are the common ingredients of beard oils. You’ll be brought to faraway places just by reading the composition of each product: cardamom, jojoba, coconut, almonds…
Value for money
As you’ll have seen in our selection at the top of this article, you can get a good idea of the quality of a product by reading user reviews. As you can imagine, the price is naturally one of the criteria that most influences consumer opinion. It’s no coincidence that customer favourites also tend to be quite affordable products.
The value proposition of a beard oil isn’t just based on the quality of the actual product. Other factors, like kits that offer multiple products and accessories – brush, shampoo, comb etc. – also affect the price.
If there’s one thing you should remember from our article, it’s that beards won’t care for themselves. It is also important to remember that using oil is only one part of your daily facial care routine. If you want to obtain a strong and healthy beard, apply the oil after washing and drying it properly.
As we’ve already mentioned, beard oils serve two main functions: health and aesthetics. A healthy beard means a healthy skin, and your oil will play an essential role in this. You’ll have a beautiful beard and everyone will see it: health and looks can also go hand in hand.
If you liked our guide, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share it on your social media so more of your friends can learn to use the beard oil that’s just right for them!
(Source of featured image: Parilovv: 109708184/ 123rf.com)