How we pick our products
Some of us are fortunate enough that we don’t need any help getting up. We go to bed easy, we roll out of bed easily. This can be hard to do in a country like Canada, especially if you know you are getting up at 5 a.m. to face sub-zero temperatures outside. Many people rely on their alarm clocks to get them up and at ’em.
Thanks to this incredibly useful little invention, getting up from a nap, or waking up in the morning has never been easier. It is easy to program them to go off at a set time every day, and to repeat the process until you are ready to get up. The below shopping guide will help you choose a great alarm clock that has everything you need to get out of bed.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 The best alarm clocks on the Canadian market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about alarm clocks
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- The main thing an alarm clock should do is go off when it is time to get out of bed. There are many modern models, however, that do much more than that.
- You need to have a number of important criteria in mind when buying your alarm clock. This includes how easy it is to set and use, how loud it is, how adjustable it is, and any additional functions.
- Your alarm clock should have a good snooze function so that you can set it to go off numerous times. This is a fundamentally necessary function or you risk simply falling asleep again.
The best alarm clocks on the Canadian market
It is always wise to take the opinions and comments of previous buyers into consideration before making your purchase. In the following section, we have compiled a list of the five best alarm clocks on the Canadian market. They are ones that are well-liked and well-rated by consumers and we have included the major characteristics of each one. After reading through it you will undoubtedly find something that is right for you.
- Philips – Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock
- Mesqool – Alarm Clock for Bedrooms
- Magnasonic – Projection Alarm Clock
- Reacher – Snooze Alarm Clock
- Sony – ICFC1 Alarm Clock Radio
Philips – Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock
Philips is a company renowned for its light and electronics products, and their Wake-Up Light Alarm clock makes getting out of bed in the morning as easy as you could imagine. The coloured sunrise simulation provides just the right amount of non-harsh light to make getting up and starting your day a snap. 92 per cent of people who have purchased this alarm clock agree that it makes getting up in the morning less hard on them and helps set their internal clocks better.
Furthermore, this product also features a great dimming light and sound that makes getting to sleep easier. Getting to bed easier and sleeping more, in turn, makes getting up easier which makes this alarm clock doubly effective. Using light therapy and sound to get you out of bed naturally, as opposed to the jarring alarm sounds that many people are used to, this is a fantastic product for those sleepy heads that find it particularly tough to wake up and start their day.
Mesqool – Alarm Clock for Bedrooms
Alarm Clock for Bedrooms, 7’’ Large Digital LED Display Alarm Clock – 7 Colored Night Light, 2 USB Chargers, Full Dimmer, 12/24 Hour & DST, Big Snooze, Adjustable Loud Alarm for Heavy Sleepers Kids Teens Boys Girls Elderly Seniors, Easy Set Plug-in Alarm Clock Battery Backup for Home Kitchen Desk Shelf Bedside Nightstand Office Travel (White)
Mesqool’s Alarm Clock For Bedrooms features a seven-coloured nightlight an extra-large LED display and a full dimmer, making this the ultimate bedside accessory. It also comes with two USB ports so you can charge your electronics while you sleep, and comes with a large snooze button so that you are not fumbling around half asleep at quarter to six trying to get an extra 10 minutes. It is incredibly easy to program and has an adjustable ringer for extra heavy sleepers.
The AC power and battery backup make this a great alarm clock for people who live in areas of the country that are prone to temporary power outages. Never again will you have to worry about a power outage in the night that resets your alarm clock and makes you late. This is a lightweight alarm clock that is perfect for any room of the house, and great to take with you while travelling. If you want something that is very simple to use and looks great in any room, this is it.
Magnasonic – Projection Alarm Clock
Magnasonic’s Projection Alarm Clock comes with an AM/FM radio, battery backup, and a dual alarm to make sure getting up and out of bed on time is a guarantee. The 3.6″ blue LCD display is easy to read, even when you’re super groggy first thing. If you prefer projecting your time onto your wall or ceiling, you can do that as well. Kids especially will love this feature. With your time on the ceiling, you will never need to roll over and check your alarm clock every again.
In addition to being a simple alarm clock, this product also comes with an indoor temperature and date display, a 3.5mm audio input and a nap/sleep timer. This is more than just an alarm clock, this alarm clock helps you better manage your life and comfort all from one small, portable device. Another nice feature of this alarm clock is its ability to self set so you don’t have to worry about resetting everything in the even of a power outage, or a short.
Reacher – Snooze Alarm Clock
Reacher’s Snooze alarm clock is so named because of just how easy it is to hit the snooze button: it’s the entire top of the clock. Just press anyone at the top of the alarm clock and get back to sleep for another 10 minutes of bliss. The large red LED display is easy to read, even for people that don’t have their glasses on first thing in the morning. It also features a great USB port for plugging in electronics and charging overnight if wall sockets are in short supply.
This is a great alarm for the home, office, bedroom, and to take travelling with you. It has large buttons, is easy to set, and is easy to snooze, making it perfect for older adults and young children. The alarm lasts for eight minutes on this clock and the time is set in 12-hour format. The backup battery function is also nice in case the power happens to go out or you accidentally knock the cord out of the wall, you don’t have to go through the process of resetting it.
Sony – ICFC1 Alarm Clock Radio
Sony’s ICFC1 Alarm Clock Radio is a great classic digital alarm clock that has everything you need and nothing you don’t. For those who are not overly concerned with having all of the latest bells and whistles on their alarm clock, this great, reliable Sony product gives you a straightforward, easy-to-use clock that works well and does as advertised. You can wake up to the radio, buzzer, or a gradual alarm, and the radio function allows you to preset 10 different stations.
You can also program this alarm clock to allow you to fall asleep to the radio using the programmable sleep timer. The adjustable brightness control is another nice feature for those who don’t like to have any electronic lights in their room while they sleep. The large display makes reading this clock simple, and the backup battery ensures that you are never late for an important meeting, and never miss another airport wakeup call every again.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about alarm clocks
We hope you’ve found the above list of great products helpful in finding a great product. You now know what some of the most useful and common alarm clock features are. You also know that there is a wide range of products out there for all needs and tastes. Below we will provide you with even more vital information about alarm clocks and how to choose the one for you.
What is an alarm clock exactly?
Are digital or analogue models better?
Keep in mind that analogue clocks are really only meant to be used as clocks and alarms. Digital ones, however, come with a variety of additional features and can be used as radios, speaker, MP3 players, electronic chargers etc. Analogue clocks tend to look more classic and decorative, as well as tend to cost less. Digital models, on the other hand, are preferred in general. Analogue clocks often make an audible clicking noise and can keep you up.
We’ve listed their main differences in the table below:
|Analogue alarm clock||Digital alarm clock|
|Sound||They use a buzzer as an alarm.||They have a very wide array of alarms.|
|Battery||They need different types of batteries to function.||They may work with batteries or a power plug.|
|Time||They use hands to show the time.||They show the time with numbers.|
|Design||Their design is traditional and attractive.||They offer more minimalist designs.|
|Function||They only work as a clock and alarm.||They may have many other options.|
Why buy an alarm clock and not use my mobile phone?
Experts have demonstrated that using a mobile device before bed makes falling asleep more difficult. Many people are consumed by their phones and even end up avoiding sleeping because they are so obsessed. Someone calling or texting in the middle of the night can also disturb your sleep. You should really consider swapping your cell phone alarm for a good digital or analogue alarm.
What are the main parts of a digital alarm clock?
- Screen. The screen of your alarm clock should be quite large and visible from a distance. You should be able to read the digits easily, which is why adequate backlighting is important.
- Dimmable display. This function allows you to balance the light of the screen. If you can’t adjust the light you might find you don’t get to sleep as easily. Whether you don’t like the light at night or are particularly sensitive to light, this is important.
- Snooze function. The snooze function is extremely important to have and must be easy to use. This is especially important if you want to wake up more gradually. Snooze allows you to get 10 minutes (more or less) intervals of sleep after your initial alarm has sounded.
- Extra battery. You trust your alarm clock to get you up and out the door for a variety of important appointments and deadlines. You can’t have it fail on you, which is why many also come with backup battery life in case of a power outage and your alarm resets itself.
- Built-in radio. Most new digital alarm clocks allow you to set your wakeup alarm to a radio station making waking up more enjoyable.
- Multiple alarms. These models are made with couples in mind so that each person can wake up to his or her preferred alarm. You can also use this function instead of the classic snooze. For instance, you can set a 6:30 a.m. alarm, and then another for 7:30 a.m. if you don’t want to be bothered by a noise every ten minutes.
- Bluetooth. You will be able to connect your phone to your alarm and use some of the functionality.
- Projector. You may already have seen alarm clocks that project the time onto the ceiling or the wall. This lets you see the time during the morning or evening without having to roll over. This is too much light for some people, though.
- Progressive wake-up. The alarm starts off less loud and gets progressively louder to make your wakeup less startling.
- USB input. Allows you to charge your devices using your alarm clock.
What can help me buy the best alarm clock?
- Opinions: Pay attention to what previous consumers and current owners have to say.
- Functions: Know which functionality matters to you.
- Price: Try and find the best value for money possible.
- Size and design: You want your purchase to look great in your home, office, room etc.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of alarm clocks?
We are reaching the end of our guide, but we need to go over a few key criteria before you leave. If you take these to heart, on top of the rest of the information we have provided you above, you will have everything you need to get yourself a great product. Below are the basic features to evaluate:
Your clock needs to be simple to use. If you have owned alarm clocks in the past, or are technically included, it shouldn’t be a problem. However, if you are buying an alarm clock for older or younger users, you should make sure you get one that is easy to use and doesn’t contain a lot of confusing or additional features.
As previously mentioned, it is always wise to get an alarm clock that has backup battery power. You might also consider an alarm clock you can charge using USB. This will ensure you don’t end up missing important meetings, being late for a flight etc.
Radio is optional, though it is a feature on most modern alarm clocks. It lets you wake up in the morning without having to rely on an alarm noise, which can be nicer, especially if you have trouble waking up. It is also nice to have at night because many modern clocks let you set a ‘falling asleep’ function that gradually fades out to help you drift off. Make sure you consider whether you can afford all of the features you are interested in.
Digital alarm clocks don’t tick like analogue ones. This is why many people prefer them to analogue clocks. While it isn’t a particularly invasive sound, some people fixate on noises and have trouble ignoring them.
This is related to the last category, some people don’t like seeing either light or being constantly reminded of the time. If you have trouble sleeping, you might want to make sure you get something with adjustable light intensity. You can also get alarm clocks that don’t show the time on the screen while your room is dark.
Most modern homes have at least one alarm clock. This essential device helps you wake up early and ensures you aren’t late. While new smartphones also accomplish this, sleeping with a phone right by your bed is generally not recommended. Keeping your phone away from your head while you sleep gives you a much-needed break from it, and also minimizes the number of disturbances you hear from it during the night.
As is evident from our ranking section, there are a great many products to choose from on the Canadian market and you are sure to find one that you love. Consider what you want your alarm clock to have, but also consider how much you want to spend. The important thing is that you get the right product for your needs.
If you enjoyed our guide to alarm clocks and found it informative, share it with your friends and family on social media. Additionally, you can drop us a comment in the below section and let us know your thoughts.
(Source of featured image: Atamanenko: 53513126/ 123rf.com)